Monday, January 21, 2013

House Decorating Tips

 This post I'm going to share with you some helpful tips for decorating a room. Whether in college or just starting to move into your first apartment (exciting!) it is always nice to gather some tips and inspiration. The house I live in now, I'm sharing with 8 other girls. Knowing this, you probably have figured out that there is not a whole lot of space.

Now I don't want to brag, but I'm pretty fortunate in having a mother with a taste like Rachel Ashwell (if you don't know her, look her up). Growing up I was surrounded by pretty things. My mom has great taste! Look at some of her house here. Without further adieu, here's my room and here are my tips to you. Oh and ignore the ugly carpet...I can't help that one :(, that's the beauty of renting, right?

Tip #1:

Look for Storage in Unlikely Spots

I try to turn every space I can into a storage space. Buy furniture that can double as storage space. I use bins beneath my clothes in my nook of a closet and use bins underneath my bed. Also try to build up. Many times people don't utilize the space above them. I bought these great white lockers at Ikea that don't take up to much floor space, but they are very high, helping me store books, and other trinkets.



Tip #2:

Less is not always more

I mean look at my room...do you see much empty space? I don't. I'm a collector. I like things that I don't need. Plus think of it this way, once you are married, living in your own house, you will have more space to display the things that you've collected over the years. The house I'm living in now is pretty full but when I have more space, I'll have more things to fill that space!

 

Tip #3:

Garage Sales. Savers. Goodwill. Flea market.

All of those wonderful things listed above should become your best friends. I'm telling you! Almost everything in my room was found at one of those places. You can really find some good treasures here!  Those of you who are a little shabby chic, aeclectic-like like me, you'll really like this suggestion. My favorite thing to do in the whole world is to go Flea Market shopping. My favorites are the Rosebowl Flea Market, which is the second Sunday of every month and the Long Beach Flea Market, which is the third Sunday of every month. And fyi flea markets are not necessarily less-expensive, but you can bargain them down, which is half the fun :) Plus you meet such great people and find the coolest of things. It's an experience that you all should do! In the photo below, I got my pink car, magazine holder, and jeweled glasses at the top all at the flea market...not to mention my cool south western beaded jewelry!


Tip #4:

Make things your own. What I mean by this, is look at an item with a different agenda. For example, I have collected these old brass platters and instead of using something like holding food, I display my sunglasses and jewelry. Another example is hanging my old windows (that I found in the trash by the way) on the wall to display pictures. Collect mason jars and use them to hold cotton balls, brushes, pens/pencils.

 

Another thing is to actually make your own knick-nacks. I took a ceramics class and most of the cups and bowls that I use to hold my paint brushes and jewelry, I've made myself (including this holding some of my lipsticks and the heart bowl holding my rings). It doesn't have to be ceramics, but pinterest is filled with diy projects that are easy and super cute!

  


Tip #5:

Something that is helpful to do when putting together your room is to develop a color scheme. This will help you out with buying everything else, like furniture, wall decor, and so forth. Also, another thing that is AUH-MAZING is chalkboard paint. You can create your own custom headboard using this, utilize that wall that is just so plain, or make cute message boards around the room.


 

Tip #6:

Do what you want!

The thing you must remember is to do what you love. Your space should be a reflection of you, not someone else. Who says you can't put that there! Buy what you like and show-off what makes you happy. Developing your own personal style is so fun!






And there you go my darlings! The rest is up to you! Happy decorating :). Here are just a few more shots around my room! 


   


  

xo
Emily

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tips, I really needed these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love everything!Is there anything you can't do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. You are so so sweet. That comment just made my day! Thank you! (and believe me there are many things I can't do :))

      xo

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love the cupcake painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My sister painted it! If you are interested, I'm sure she'd do one for you too!

      Delete
  4. Amazing tips! I love it all!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Rebecca thank you! Thank you for continuing to read my blog! It makes me feel like I do good posts! I still don't know how to get lots of followers like you!

      xo

      Delete

Hi sweet reader! Please share a your thoughts, questions, or comments. I love hearing from you! Makes my day!

344924_we love discounts