Okay let's talk icecream. I love it. Hands down one of my ultimate favorite foods of all time. Another one of my favorites is German Chocolate Cake...that chocolatey ooey gooeiness with that rich coconut frosting...I mean come on. And who doesn't love Oreo Cookies? Ummmm that would be no one. So one day I decided to take all of these scrumptious things and combine them into one amazing ice cream flavor. So say hello to your new favorite, German Chocolate Oreo Cookie Ice Cream. Ben and Jerry's...you wish you figured this one out ;).
German Chocolate Cake Recipe (My recipe)
6 Oreo Cookies
1 pint of Cream or Half and Half (I used cream)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
1. Combine cream, vanilla, and sugar into the ice cream maker...or ice cream ball (that's what I used).
2. Take the German Chocolate cake and crumble it, cake and frosting and put into the mixture. My German Chocolate cake was frozen when I did this step. Helps if it is cooler. I put in about 1/3 cup.
3. Put in the ice and kosher salt in the ice cream maker, in order to freeze more efficiently.
4. Start tossing around your ice cream ball or turn it on to start churning!
5. After about 15 minutes, check on the ice cream mixture, and scrape down the frozen ice cream that has already started to freeze on the sides of the container. Mix thoroughly.
6. Start churning/tossing again. For another 10/15 minutes.
7. At this point, crush up your Oreo cookies and place into the almost frozen mixture.
8. Churn once more for another 10 minutes.
All done! You end up with a chocolatey ice cream, from the German Chocolate cake pieces, with little Oreo chunks and coconut German Chocolate frosting swirls throughout the ice cream. By mixing in the cake in the beginning, the cake has a lot of time to incorporate into the ice cream, making it subtle and delicious. Then by adding the Oreo's last, they stay more in chunks and are able to offer a satisfying crunch while eating your icecream. And that frosting...well there isn't much better than German Chocolate Cake frosting so having that extra little flavor profile is a yummy yummy surprise!
Hope you love it!